- How to increase participants and retain existing users
Create new opportunities and roles for active participants
- Make it easier to track changes to articles of interest and thus ensure contributions survive.
- Add social networking elements to MediaWiki
- Reward" contributors that answer reader questions.
- Allow contributors to subscribe to feeds by "topic area" so they can see what questions readers are asking.
- Make it easier to add verifiable information
- Discourage deletion of quality content
- Add functionality that lets editors "mark" text that they have
verified and approve of, so that text gets more gravity and stability
in an article
- "penalize" contributors and admins who demonstrate a pattern of removing others' verified work
- make it easy for users to "report" a user or IP address that is deleting content to admins
- Social networking sites
- LinkedIn - particularly if people cite "professional development" as a reason for contributing to Wikipedia
- Libraries and other cultural institutions holding workshops with visitors
- Engaging high school teachers: contributing to Wikipedia articles
may be an excellent way to teach students basic research and
- International Organizations working with local populations in developing context appropriate educational materials